Cherry has quite a lot of kinds. I only know Somei-yoshino (crossbred), Yamazakura (wild) and some others. This photo is Somei-yoshino, the most gorgeous and popular kind now. You can see them at parks and gardens in many cities such as Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka.
When I took this photo, the tree had just started blooming. I will show you the full bloom in the next post.
You can see Yamazakura in low mountains. 400 years ago, Somei-yoshino was not born yet. People had enjoyed this kind having big petals on its high tree.
This is called Usuzumizakura, classified in Edohiganzakura. In West Japan, there is a famous big one which age is over 1500 years.








Lovely
ReplyDeleteHello rtc, In Japan cherries are famous for their blossoms. In America we also enjoy the flowers, but for many the fruit is the main objective. Wild cherries can be a native dark-sweet type, but the ultimate prize for me were the wild (probably escaped from cultivation) sour cherries. There are cherry orchards near here that would probably let you walk around during blossom time. I have done this with apple orchards and the beauty was sublime. For wild cherries and other fruits, in the spring it is easy to spot the flowering trees so you know where to return when the fruit is ripe.
ReplyDelete--Jim
Beautiful blossoms, love the photos of it.
ReplyDeleteOh lucky you to get to enjoy all the types of cherry trees. I had no idea there was such a variety. The blossoms are so beautiful and look so delicate. Thank you for sharing this piece of your world with us.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful blossoms that all of us look forward to seeing each spring. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh they are stunning with blooms.
ReplyDeleteCatherine🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
Dearest RTC,
ReplyDeleteOh, it is Japan's signature—that is for sure!
Also my personal favorite blossom and your mention of their beauty for a short period and ephemerality is so true. But we always long for the next show!
Hugs,
Mariette
Gorgeous! Welcome, Springtime!
ReplyDelete漂亮啊 ❗️ 有些櫻花滿開了,有些長出葉子,已近尾聲,各有美態 🌸🌸🌸
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful!
ReplyDeleteIt must be a wonderful sight to see them in bloom! What strikes me is that some have been mute spectators of historical events: the wars, Hiroshima, etc.
ReplyDelete清麗的櫻花🌸
ReplyDeleteSiempre me han gustado las flores de cerezo. Te mando un beso. Enamorada de las letras
ReplyDelete美麗奪目.
ReplyDeleteOh, I so wish I could have joined in the photo opportunity. They are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate seeing the blossom trees in your area every Spring. Interesting about the white blossom tree over 1500 years old! Would love to see that sometime.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week ahead.
~Sheri
Wowwwww beautiful!!….🍀🌸🍀🌺🍀 love from me and leaf 💗🐾💗
ReplyDeleteThey are dazzling!
ReplyDeleteThose blossoms are beautiful! I love seeing trees like those! Your photos are awesome!
ReplyDeleteStunning 🤩
ReplyDeleteBeautiful blossoms.
ReplyDeleteLovely photographs.
All the best Jan
Beautiful photos! I hadn't fully appreciated that there were so many types of cherry blossoms. I shall make sure to identify them in future!
ReplyDelete櫻花好靚.
ReplyDeleteI grew a cherry tree out of one single cherry pip which I discarded after eating the cherry. I let it fall into a pot of earth and forgot about it. I was surprised to see that it was a seedling the following year. I did not think it would bear cherries, because the eating-cherry variety was grafted onto a wild rootstock. So I think my cherry tree is a wild cherry. But it still has thousands of cherries each year. When I can find any to eat, they are actually delicious. Unfortunately the birds eat nearly all of them before they are ripe. I should put a net across the tree to stop the birds but then I think, they appreciate the cherry tree too but in their own way.
ReplyDelete