Saturday, August 15, 2026

Lilies In The Bush (Lilium auratum)

July is the month to enjoy the beautiful wild lily. As it has a very strong fragrance, people of today seldom bring it into the house.  
 
I just smiled at you like a lily in the pathside bush,
Why can you jump to a conclusion
I have agreed to be your wife?
-A poem in the 8th century-
 

I found a wild chestnut. People in those days would eat them.

13 comments:

  1. What beautiful flowers! And that poem rings true even today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful flowers! The strong scent of lilies give me a headache, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lilies are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I just smiled at you like a lily in the pathside bush." That had better be a proposal, and that is why shotgun marriages were invented. At least from the Appalachian point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These lilies are so beautiful in the bush, and the wild chestnuts look amazing there. Lovely photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 以前,朋友送我一盆百合花,替我打理植物的園丁叔叔說它的香味易招蛇,沒多久院子裡真的住了一家子蛇,也許是巧合吧,因為害怕蛇,我很快搬離那單位了。

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous. It must be so fragrant to walk near their path.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lilies in the bush look so beautiful.
    Nice to see the wild chestnut.

    Enjoy your August days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can smell the lilies from here. The chestnut tree is interesting too. I like the picture of the woods. Looks like fairies might live there. ; )

    ReplyDelete